Weddings at Rockefeller Chapel
and Bond Chapel
If you are looking for a place to hold your wedding or union ceremony, may we first say congratulations! May your life together be filled with joy and delight!
Rockefeller Chapel (capacity 1,700, though smaller weddings may be held in the choir area) and Bond Chapel (capacity 150) can be used for ceremonies of any cultural or religious tradition and also for ceremonies that do not have religious content. You invite your own officiant, and your officiant may be anyone who is legally authorized to conduct weddings in the state of Illinois.
For a PDF copy of our wedding brochure, click here to download.
Weddings are normally scheduled only on Saturdays and Sundays. You may schedule your wedding or union ceremony at Bond Chapel or Rockefeller Chapel on a Saturday if you are one of the following:
- A current student, enrolled in a program of study at the University of Chicago that will result in a degree.
- A member of the staff, faculty or one of the University's boards.
- An alumnus/a of the University.
- The son or daughter or grandchild of one of the above.
If you do not meet the above requirements, the University has made an arrangement whereby you may schedule your ceremony on a Sunday afternoon. The affiliation requirements are firm and have been established by the President of the University.
Rockefeller Chapel and Bond Chapel are each available for weddings in three-hour blocks of time as follows:
Saturday, 9 am to 12 noon
Saturday, 1 pm to 4 pm
Saturday, 5 pm to 8 pm
Sunday, 2 pm to 5 pm
The three hour block includes time for set-up (flowers, liturgical furnishings, and arrival of guests), meaning that the start time for the wedding is usually at least one hour into the three hours. Wedding set-up may not begin before the beginning of the three-hour period, and the Chapel must be vacated promptly at the end of the three hours, as other events may be booked. An extra hour's usage may be negotiated, depending upon availability, for an extra fee.
A one hour rehearsal is also scheduled, usually for the day before the wedding. Two gathering rooms are made available during the three hour block reserved for the ceremony. For Bond Chapel, these are conference and classrooms in Swift Hall; at Rockefeller, one is an office and the other is a conference room. In other words, they are not purpose-built as changing rooms, but they are useful places for the principals of the wedding party to finish their preparations.
You may place a hold on a particular time for up to three weeks, in order to coordinate the booking of the ceremony and the reception. We don't accept holds on both Chapels at the same time from the same party (in other words, please choose between the two!).
Wedding fees are fully inclusive, and cover the use of the respective Chapel for four hours (one hour rehearsal and three hour block for the ceremony) and the use of two gathering rooms for the three hour block of the ceremony; the services of the university organist (at both Chapels) and university carillonneur (for ceremonies at Rockefeller); and the presence of Chapel assistants throughout the rehearsal and wedding time. The fee for Rockefeller Chapel is $2,226 and the fee for Bond Chapel is $1,236. A discount is available for students currently enrolled at the University of Chicago. A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to reserve your date.
Bond Chapel and Rockefeller Chapel do not have facilities to host receptions. If you want to remain on campus for your reception, you may wish to consider a reception at the University's beautiful Quadrangle Club, International House, Logan Center for the Arts, or the Smart Museum. Summer receptions may also be possible at Ida Noyes Hall.
Other things to note
- Bond Chapel and Rockefeller Chapel are not air conditioned. The gathering rooms are air conditioned.
- Food and beverage is not allowed at Rockefeller and Bond Chapels.
- The organ and carillon may only be used by the university organist and university carillonneur and their designates. The organist and carillonneur will assist you in selecting and planning your music and will be present during your ceremony.
- You may also invite other musicians (singers, instrumentalists) in addition to the organ, but pre-recorded music is not permitted.
- Floral arrangements are allowed in the chancel area, and you should make careful arrangement with your florist to deliver when your three-hour block of time begins. We cannot take delivery of flowers in advance.
- You may use ceremony candles and unity candles on the altar or other table. Candles must be placed on holders, and you provide both the candle and holder. No other candles or candelabras are permitted.
- Aisle runners are not permitted at Rockefeller Chapel and at Bond Chapel.
- The restrooms at Rockefeller Chapel are located in the lower level. There is a small ADA-approved lift for those needing to use it. The restrooms for Bond Chapel are located directly east in Swift Hall.
- Bubbles, birdseed, and flower petals may be thrown outside either Chapel. Rice or confetti may not be used. Balloons may not be brought into either Chapel.
- Photography and video recording is permitted, but should be done as unobtrusively as possible during the ceremony.
- Parking is usually plentiful on the Midway during weekends. The closest drop-off point to Rockefeller is in the circular driveway on Woodlawn Avenue (cars may not be parked in the driveway). The closest drop-off point to Bond Chapel is on 59th Street, at the Classics archway, just east of Ellis Avenue. No vehicular access is permitted in the main quadrangles of the university, including Harper quadrangle.
Please contact us at 773.702.2100 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or if you would like to ask about scheduling a wedding or union ceremony.